OrbitalSpark

a month ago #T9039
Some of you may be aware that certain war paints apparently have alternate variations. I, myself, wasn't aware of this until I realized that a skin I unboxed didn't quite look right.
Here is the skin that I have:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/885385420707218990/6EC42EC1AB2A2A1945EBA6917B6DE566E5328D76/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/885385420707218866/A64148CBAE9ED7DB7D18AF59D3A179176450B6B7/
And here is how it is supposed to look:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/885385420707219191/E12A989021A71172DC841D38E6C12292E51DA986/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/885385420707219095/A3A5399D15D15811CACDD4CD1892CAAA21496E63/

Presumably, you can just set or randomize your skin until you get a code that puts out these rarities, but I've found the system doesn't always accept randomizations other than the base one you get when you first get the unbox.

Also, for the record, there's more than just a "Snow Leopard" variant. I've seen a black leopard with this skin, a White Tigerbuffed, and a white banana peeled. It doesn't seem many people, especially traders, have noticed this...but I also think this might be the fault of the current systems we have on sites like this. Because sites like this one and backpack.tf just use the default images for these items, it doesn't really show the variations between skins. Even ones that aren't these rare variants are different from one another. A scratch here, blood there, sticker on the barrel instead of the hilt: all these things seem to change depending on the number sequence generated by the skin.

I just thought this was an interesting, unmentioned part of this update worth sharing. Plus, perhaps this necessitates a re-evaluation of how trade sites (and traders for that matter) evaluate the prices and rarity of these sorts of skins. Like I said, presumably, anyone should be able to set these colors themselves, but the painting system tends not to always comply and most people are blissfully unawares of these variant skins.

What do you think? Were you aware of these alternates? Have you seen a few others for different skins? Have you just now realized you've had one of these in your backpack this whole time and didn't even know?

User ribbon ༺ buddhapest ༻

a month ago #117047
ya, i think this makes skins super interesting, the variance.

> Presumably, you can just set or randomize your skin until you get a code that puts out these rarities

unfortunately no. like "fade" in cs:go i think this is determined at the time the skin is opened and randomly by the server.

> Were you aware of these alternates

the variance is massive in the preview in the tf2 client but the randomizer shows a lot more variance than is actually available. if you examine weapons from the market place you will see that the variance is very minor. my guess is that the random seed that is shown in the tf2 client preview mode doesn't reflect the same range of numbers that is used when a skin is actually opened. the tf2 client uses a value between 0 and 1 but i think the actual skins are 0-0.1 or something. there's definitely a discrepancy.

OrbitalSpark

a month ago #117048
༺ buddhapest ༻
unfortunately no. like "fade" in cs:go i think this is determined at the time the skin is opened and randomly by the server.

I was afraid it was something like that. Although, I guess that actually makes the value go up so it's not all bad. I have found myself earlier on when I was actually putting skins onto weapons a little annoyed that I could change the variation juuuust how I wanted it, then go to the weapon and try to put it on to find the exact same variant that I started with. It wasn't made clear exactly that you can't change the warpaint once you have it, especially since there's this whole menu devoted to generating and look at all the random variances you can come across.

Anyway, I think this is little discovery is actually really cool and now I want more of these oddities.

The only bit of issue with me is what is always the issue: choosing which weapon to put this skin on, and since it's rare it's a rather tough choice as getting another would be difficult.

༺ buddhapest ༻
the variance is massive in the preview in the tf2 client but the randomizer shows a lot more variance than is actually available. if you examine weapons from the market place you will see that the variance is very minor. my guess is that the random seed that is shown in the tf2 client preview mode doesn't reflect the same range of numbers that is used when a skin is actually opened. the tf2 client uses a value between 0 and 1 but i think the actual skins are 0-0.1 or something. there's definitely a discrepancy.

Given that, I'm not sure how trade sites would deal with this until valve made a change on their end. Without visual change or the person trading it saying so, I guess the only way is to flag the associated numbers generated with the skins? But that sounds like a monumental task for what, ultimately, is not that big a deal. But, hey, I'm no web designer or nothin so maybe there's hope.

ITstumbler

2 weeks ago #117063
Some skins have gradients. You can open them in tf_textures_dir.vpk in materials > patterns > yeti using GCFscape.
Some skins also have rare variants of stickers; this exists even in gun mettle skins. For example, the warhawk flamethrower has a small chance of having a regular balloonicorn sticker. High roller's rocket launcher will always have different chip layouts.
You must log in to post.