Carll

6 years ago #T7087
I'd like to premise the application by saying not much has changed since my previous application except that I've been a part of this community for about 5 more months since my previous application, I haven't had any new moderation experience since between my latest application and now, I've just played some more CS:GO, and got into Dota 2 as well now. Also, I've not submitted reports as of late since people seem to be following the rules quite well as far as I've seen, (I'm sure there are folks breaking the rules) however I am familiar with the reporting system and how it works.

1. Why do you want to join the Bazaar.tf Staff?
You should really take some time writing your answer for this.
I would like to join the Bazaar.tf Staff team for a couple reasons. First of all, I feel that I am the right person for this position because of my past experience, and my personality. I have the determination and necessary skills for this job as a member of the staff team, and I will not let you down. I have ample experience in moderating a community and I believe this sets me aside from others. My past experience moderating a large communities has forced me to work with others despite complications (most notably time zones). I understand two main traits, organization and communication. I am a very organized person and understand how vital organization is to making things happen. In addition to organization being key, I understand that communication is also integral to an effective and efficient group of staff members and a mixture of Skype, Teamspeak, Trello, Slack, etc allows this, my experience in working with these communication/organization utilities will be beneficial. Another reason I’d like to join the Bazaar Staff Team is because there are people who (sadly) are not the greatest, and their intent is to harm/scam others. I personally have been scammed in the past and know how heartbreaking/devastating it is and I would like to prevent this from happening as best I can. Lastly, I feel as though it would be fun to organize small Bazaar events. I previously organized events for the Overcast Network and truly had a blast with it, perhaps I could continue my organizing of events with Bazaar. Lastly, I've been a part of the Bazaar.tf community for quite a while now, and I feel that being able to volunteer would be a way of paying thanks to this fantastic community.

2. How old are you?
I am 23 years old, currently going to college/university/whatever you may call it.

3. Where do you live, and how much time can you spend moderating? Also what is your timezone?
I currently live on the East Coast of the United States, and I feel I can spend between 1-3 hours a day moderating bazaar.tf. My timezone is EST, or UTC-4

4. Are you an active Steam user?
I am a very active steam user, I play either csgo/tf2 every day. I have been a steam user for over 2 years now, and a couple games I have thoroughly played/play and enjoy are TF2, CS:GO, and Dota 2.

5. What experience do you have in community administration?
I have extensive experience moderating large communities of people. I have been an administrator of a large (20,000 person) Team Fortress 2 Raffling Group. Although this may seem like somewhat minor experience, I was able to understand the troubles of dealing with a large community. I quickly learned that I had to be patient with others and that dealing with a bunch people trying to enter my raffle at once was quite difficult, but as I ran more and more raffles, I became more and more efficient, and patient.

I also did Administrate a Minecraft community called the Overcast Network. My time on the Overcast Network has been very valuable and I've learned a lot. I've also learned to deal with mass amounts of people communicating with me as there are consistently 1000+ players on the network. I've also learned what it feels like to be swamped in hundreds upon hundreds of website reports. I understand that this is not the amount of people that Bazaar deals with, but I feel that it my experience makes me more qualified for the position as a staff member over others who may apply. Not only have I moderated this community of players, but I have helped organize tournaments for the community too. I also helped administer a tournament that the Overcast Network ran, by planning the format, picking referees, picking tournament advisers, and making sure all the matches started seamlessly. This experience I have with tournaments could benefit the community of Bazaar, and bring some fun happenings to it!

6. If you've been banned from another community, what happened?
I have been banned from the Overcast Network before. The reason I was banned was for “Hacking - High Jump”. This ban however was invalid because I actually had a jump boost potion but the moderator thought I was hacking. After I was banned, I alerted the moderator through the appeals system that it was but a mistake and I was not in fact hacking. What I learned from this experience was that as a moderator you must always be careful and understanding of those that you ban.

7. Are you really willing to commit to putting in work for Bazaar.tf?
Keep in mind that we deal with reports, tickets, and complaints constantly.
Yes, I’m very aware that people can and will complain, and I’m prepared to deal with reports, support tickets, etc. I've faced it in past communities that I've been part of, what I've learned (and what I think is quite important to keep in mind when working with a large community) is that you can never satisfy everyone all the time. There will always be people who are upset.

Also, in my time with the Overcast Network, they had an online report system in which there were hundreds of reports each day. I understand that it is important to stay on top of the reports so that they don't pile up.

8. Finally, do you understand that we don’t conduct ourselves too seriously around here?
Honestly, if every staff team was 100% serious all the time it would be painful. Everyone has to be goofy.

As a final note I do have experience with coding. I currently have worked with HTML, CSS, Python, XML and a bit of Java. I completed the Python course on Codecademy. This was useful to me because Python teaches a lot of the basics and concepts of coding while using very simple syntax. I also completed the HTML/CSS codecademy ages ago, but have not worked much with HTML/CSS since then. As for java, I've made my own test plugin before, and messed about with different data structures such as linked lists and binary search trees, but other than that, I've not spent much time learning the bukkit API or the Java syntax.

As for my experience with XML I've used it as a data file that the Overcast Network's Plugin, PGM, reads. XML is necessary for any map to work on the Overcast Network. Here are some of the XML files that I've written.

http://pastie.org/9896753
http://pastie.org/9896754
http://pastie.org/9896756

I would be interested in helping out with back-end stuff if I got the chance (even if it be "grunt work"), but I'm aware I would start as a "janitor" as everyone does, gotta start at the bottom.

Cheers,
Chainz

User ribbon SkyFuchsia

6 years ago #102652
Nice application Well Written
Hope you be part of the staff

Carll

6 years ago #102654
Matthewkes
Nice application Well Written
Hope you be part of the staff

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

User ribbon _inu

6 years ago #103789
You are still not very active on our site so I will have to decline this. Due to us agreeing that your application is well-written however you may re-apply in the future should you want to and be more active on our site than you currently are.
This thread is locked. You cannot reply.